Friday, January 1, 2016

New Year, New Plans!

Resolutions, a fresh start, uh... tax returns, there's a laundry list of things the New Year can ring in.  For me, 2016 has a lot to look forward to.  A combination of things I didn't get done last year mixed in with some experiences I've never had before that are on the way!  Here's what's in store for me (and this blog) for the new year!

We kick off the very first day of 2016 with new life breathed into my 2.5RS Coupe that I've been working on.  Today, as it passed over the 170,000 mile mark, I installed the DT ECU with a Stage 2 Tune on it.  Now this rallycross car is making full use of the Gorilla Top Mount Cold Air Intake, Stromung Catback Exhaust, and headers putting more refined linear power to the wheels in this 16-year-old coupe.  The power is much smoother and consistent with the tune tying all these elements together.  I'm really excited to see what it's like for this year's rallycross events with these improvements!

This winter started off relatively mild, so when I got my new 2016 Subaru WRX STI Series.HyperBlue, I didn't really think about needing different tires.  However, December quickly reminded me that Subaru brilliantly fitted every WRX and WRX STI with Summer Performance Tires.  These happen to be absolutely awful when it's cold out so my beloved blue machine has been hiding in the garage until I can get an alternate tire situation sorted out.  Being the OEM freak that I tend to be, I managed to find a set of BBS Wheels from a 2005 WRX STI.  These wheels share the same bolt pattern and, although they're 17s instead of the 18s I have now, they will clear the large Brembo Brakes on my car.  To make them look even more legit, I had New Wave Powdercoating take them in, strip the paint, and apply a nice glossy black finish to them.  This winter I'll be getting some alternate tires for these wheels to use as a all-season option for when conditions aren't ideal for the stock tires my WRX STI came with.

There's also some new experiences in store for me this year.  For starters, I'm incredibly excited to be planning a trip to my first RallyAmerica National Championship event!  A handful of Subaru owners and I are headed to the Rally in the 100 Acre Wood in Salem, MO.  This is the closest round of the championship to my home, so we're making the trek down to finally see our beloved Subarus in action! 

There's more coming up this year and more I plan on doing with both my Subarus, but these bits are at the front of my mind right now!  I'm so pumped for all the great possibilities coming for 2016, so I hope you continue to enjoy the stories and posts to come for the new year!  Thanks for all your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment