Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Years Lessons

So as it turns out, grip completely changes when you're on dry, icy snow.  One of the things I've been learning about behind the wheel is how Subaru's All-Wheel Drive system works on different surfaces.  My 2012 Impreza 2.0i Hatchback has VDC and other traction nannies that kept me out of trouble for most of my other adventures, but the 2000 2.5 RS lets me make all sorts of mistakes.  Luckily, I've been learning those lessons on the beat-up RS instead of my nice '12 Impreza the past few days.

Both "whoops" moments happened on dirt roads that I had been having fun on earlier in the fall.  However, if you add snow and ice to the mix, it doesn't matter how much All-Wheel Drive you have... there's no grip.  The first meant the car slid into a dirt wall that somehow left the bumper unscathed but dented the front fender and broke one of the lights on the drivers-side.  The second was an attempted right-hand turn that turned into a no-grip slide over an embankment that deflated the drivers-side front wheel and high-centered the car.

I'm just glad nothing happened to my newer car.  The repairs to the RS are minor and everything else seems fine on it.  The only significant damage is my pride as a driver, although I still don't claim to have much experience in the first place.  Just little mistakes I plan to learn from.

No comments:

Post a Comment